Thread: Article: Hello, I'm New...Why YuGiOh Matters

Quote Originally Posted by mtsouth View Post
    The uncommon Injection Fairy Lilly might have a place on Vicious Struggle/AvX Hulk teams.

When you assign this monster to attack, you may take 2 damage to give it +3A.
    It surely does. My version of that team is called "Take Your Medicine", and uses Spider-Man to clear blockers to allow the nurses riding giant hypodermic needles to swing for big damage.

YuGiOh is great because, if for no reason, it allows you to play a game where Spider-Man webs up a bunch of people so that a group of nurses riding giant syringes can kill someone. Next time you wonder about the "validity" of YGO, just keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mtsouth View Post
    The uncommon Injection Fairy Lilly might have a place on Vicious Struggle/AvX Hulk teams.

When you assign this monster to attack, you may take 2 damage to give it +3A.
    I have seen it used on that kind of a team that won our local PDC with 20 participants.

I would argue that the Buster Blader you have in Tier 1 is more of a Tier 2 team. A little more situational, but could be devastating against a Colossus rare team if you could make it unblockable.

Also, notice how many SRs are on that list. You can pick up 90% of those for a few bucks (total) on the secondary market. Jinzo TD (rare) and BEWD (rare) will cost you.

This has been said multiple times in multiple places, but I hate seeing Jinzo on the other side of the table. I wasn't ready for it and it ruined me at World's last year.

JINNNZZZO!

Quote Originally Posted by jevansfp View Post
    I would argue that the Buster Blader you have in Tier 1 is more of a Tier 2 team. A little more situational, but could be devastating against a Colossus rare team if you could make it unblockable.
    Was hoping to fix that before someone saw it, didn't mean to have him in the tier 1 area.

I was one of those who bucked the trend when Yu-Gi-Oh came out. My son was very excited about it, and maintaining his interest in the game was a higher priority to me than the "meta". I even sold my only Gobby so that the proceeds could be used to buy a Yu-Gi-Oh starter and boosters.

Overall, it's not that bad, even when you don't mix sets. In fact, I built a YGO-only team based around Obelisk the Tormentor, and it's a hell of a lot of fun to play. It takes some time to get going, but then once it's working, it's brutal.

Finally! Someone else gets it! I am surprise to not see Obelisk's uncommon and super rare on there. Regardless, as mentioned this set should not be ignored, there are so many more cards in here that are very potent. Many have yet to see their time.

Pound for pound, the best selection of playable cards in any release.

Don't forget Sangan - the personal polymorph, and Crush Card Virus

The upside of being in a city with at least 5 FLGSs and several big box stores that sometimes carry Dice Masters, but isn't a real hub for OP store play, is that I can still find most of the sets at retail in single pack with the one notable exception of AvX. My set of D&D and YGO cards continues to grow, and even in a casual game play environment don't underestimate the value of playing with cards your opponent just doesn't know. Short version: If you're new and all of your friends are playing Marvel and DC, buy some YGO and see if you start winning more games.

Yeah I SWORE I would never buy this set or the packs or look for cards in it. And then I got the competitive bug. One day I went to my first PDC, met shadowmeld, and traded for a whole set of yugioh c/unc. Then I met millenium puzzle and injection fairy and my life was changed forever. lol Now my best team runs 2 yugioh cards. I learned to embrace the madness of dice masters like you suggested here and you really need to for being competitive. Yugioh by itself may lack any kind of synergy. It's what I call a support set because for certain spot removals, retributive effects, and other characters that really assist specific decks it's just still a great set. And just from an artist/visualization perspective, the idea of spiderman getting rammed with a giant needle ridden by an anime nurse... well normally you gotta pay money in shady places for that kind of action. Cheers!

Great article, and oh so very true. I'd add a couple of points:

-If you're considering ANY Thousand Dragon for anything other than the Rare's global (the SR can be pretty fun to play with), look into getting Time Wizard (who's in the starter) and Baby Dragon (just get the common) to go with it. I wish more characters used the Fusion mechanic, as it's really fun.

-Red-Eyes Black Dragon: I've played two versions of him in different decks (the starter and the common). Both are lots of fun, even if they're arguably not the most competitive. The starter version can make bolt teams fast and furious (seriously, with him on the field, buy 4 Rocket Raccoon dice for 1 bolt each and see your opponent cringe), and the common is pure anti-Sidekick fun.

Actually, you know what? My most important comment is: Just get the flippin' starter. It doesn't have any of the cards listed in the competitive list from the article, but it's got some good stuff to play with, including some great basic actions. Only downside: you only get one version of each character to play with (you still get 2 dice of each though).

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorW View Post
    Has WizKids said whether they plan to make another YuGiOh set? Or did it flop badly enough for them to cancel plans for the entire series?

I would disagree that it flopped, but I do not think we will see another season of it. Time will tell though.

Quote Originally Posted by ccm00007 View Post
    I wish more characters used the Fusion mechanic, as it's really fun.
    It looks like "Fabricate" from the upcoming D&D set will be a similar type of mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    It looks like "Fabricate" from the upcoming D&D set will be a similar type of mechanic.
    Indeed it is. And it doesn't just send them to prep; it explicitly "KO's" the characters in question. I'm afraid Fabricate might actually be too powerful for its own good. Time will tell, of course, but I can see Solomon Grundy's price spiking soon.