Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rank the DCJL SRs

Rank the DCJL SRs

The topic of the day today is one my girlfriend and I discussed after looking up what we could get in our gravity feed when the set comes out later this month. I won't share her opinions too much, because I'm hoping she'll start posting more on the forums.

#1 - Constantine
    I have no idea who this character is. Is he the bad guy from the newest Muppets film that looks like Kermit? That would be cool. Anyway, after looking at all four cards, it's clear he has the coolest ability and will be a staple on many teams. Missing out on him like I did Gobby/Tsarina would suck.

#2 - Black Canary
    In distant second place is the Black Canary. I think I've mentioned around here that my girlfriend reminded me of BC (before she cut her hair) and she's also a big fan of this character. Her ability seems okay, her cost is great, and I think I could make her work. Plus, I know the girlfriend will be thrilled if we pull her, so it's a win/win.

#3 - The Flash
    Great character, big fan of unblockable attackers (see Namor) and would be a nice addition to my team. The goal here is to not be disappointed by any SR pull, and the Flash would be a nice pull.

#4 - Catwoman
    Way too gimmicky for me to ever put her on a serious team, but the "refilling someone's dice bag" seems like it might be useful someday? I don't buy the gravity feeds for the ability to pull a super rare. That means any super rare is a bonus. I'd just be a little bummed if it was Catwoman.

What's your order?

Constantine. All the reasons we've listed here on our site.
    Catwoman. With all the potential ramp through PXG and BEWD keeping sidekick dice out of your bag, I think there's a good chance that you will know exactly what is in your opponent's bag. I think this one could be super sneaky good.
    Black Canary. Good cost, but the ability falls flat. And since it's a response ability (when ___, you may pay ___ to do ___) you can only do it once per BC die that attacks. I think.
    Flash. Way too conditional.

Gotta agree here.

Constantine is already in two proposed decks of mine.
    Black Canary is solid cost/stats with built in evasiveness.
    Catwoman is decent, but even more unreliable than most other abilities. The mechanic is the same as the uncommon Lesser Wish, but rather than returning the die to the card, I get to attack with it. not the greatest of benefits for my random guessing. Add to that that you're paying 4 for the stats of a 3 cost character, this SR is kinda bad.
    Flash... is terrible. If I'm attacking and leave myself open, with no defenders, I can ignore your defeders. Which really means, if I'm willing to take your WHOLE field to my face next turn, my flash can deal 4 damage and go to the used pile.

Black Canary 3 022 032 144
    When Black Canary attacks, you may pay [BOLT] to prevent a target character from blocking this turn.

She has low purchase and fielding cost. Her ability helps you damage your opponent which you need to do to win.

The Flash 4 133 244 255
    When attacking alone, if you have no other characters fielded, Flash is unblock able.

He might just be the sleeper from this set. Put him on a team with Enrage, Ice-Man, Professor X, and maybe Doom Caliber Knight (to prevent Distraction). If I'm reading his ability correctly, then you can have multiple Flash dice fielded (nothing else)you can still attack with a single die and he is unblockable. Use Ice-Man's global to turn all sidekick dice to bolts and add +1 to Flash's attack with Enrage global.

Constantine 2 022 123 133
    While Constantine is active, before your opponent’s Clear and Draw Step, you may name a character. If that character is fielded this turn, ignore its text until end of turn and it cannot attack this turn.

I'm not ready to drink the kool-aid on this one just yet. I'll probably eat my words later. He's probably great against Gobby.

Catwoman 4 021 122 233
    When fielded, name a character die. Draw a die from your opponent’s bag, if it is the named die, you may field it this turn and attack with it. If you do, put it into your opponent’s Used Pile at end of turn. Return any unnamed dice to your opponent’s bag.

I like this one for Unlimited play where your opponent is probably using PXG to keep their bag lean. It might be tricky to pull off, but how fun would it be to use your opponents characters against themselves. I'm guessing the dice you chose would field for free at level 1, but it's not clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Flash... is terrible. If I'm attacking and leave myself open, with no defenders, I can ignore your defeders. Which really means, if I'm willing to take your WHOLE field to my face next turn, my flash can deal 4 damage and go to the used pile.
    I pulled him and don't feel bad about selling him at all.

I love my Black Canary, even if I don't use her special power every time she attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelSong View Post
    I love my Black Canary, even if I don't use her special power every time she attacks.
    See... I don't care for BlackBerry Canary. (My phone auto corrected that to say BlackBerry. .. I'm leaving it.) I think she's just too vanilla. It looks like she has a very manageable TFC, opposed to many other DC characters. She can be useful, but if I have a team that wants to stop characters from blocking, I'm bringing Relentless.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    See... I don't care for BlackBerry Canary. (My phone auto corrected that to say BlackBerry. .. I'm leaving it.) I think she's just too vanilla. It looks like she has a very manageable TFC, opposed to many other DC characters. She can be useful, but if I have a team that wants to stop characters from blocking, I'm bringing Relentless.
    Canary does prevent you from making that ability available to your opponent, but with the caveat that you have it just once per Canary. She's usable but she doesn't stand up on her own. She needs help.

At this point, with little exploration of how everything works, I have to say:

1) Constantine - Nails all the quadrants but has some issues with removal.
    2) Canary - Works as a character early but doesn't shine until late, doesn't shine on her own in mixed constructed.
    3) Flash - Gives you an iffy reward for doing something that isn't really that good an idea. He's *just* too expensive for an opening character, he doesn't do enough when you're losing, he doesn't change the board when you're at parity. He helps you get a few damage in to close the door but that's it. Now, someone could prove me wrong but I don't see it with the tools we have - yet. Could change.
    4) Catwoman - Success here just seems like an edge case. Too many things need to go right for her to work. I think she could be fun but at present I don't think she sees much serious play.

@PishPosh - Not sure about that with Flash. I believe the ruling was if it's looking for strength in numbers, it's looking at unique dice, like in the case of Teamwork; if it's looking at how few someone has, then it counts individual dice regardless of if it's the same character.

This topic has backfired on me. Now I will be bummed if I pull Flash too!

If I do get him, I will attempt to make him useful.

There could be ways! If not now then with future sets! That's the great part about this game, old cards become new again as new things come out.

The only way to do, the only way to know, it is to try stuff out. Build decks, share decks, play against other people decks and strong meta decks. Maybe yours doesn't work but then you figure out what DOES, or maybe some small part of it does and you can take that element and use THAT. Never worry about an idea being dumb, especially not with new cards! Experimentation is fun! Lots of the teams that we share are just starting points as we try to mess with things and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRETRO View Post
    #1 - Constantine
    I have no idea who this character is. Is he the bad guy from the newest Muppets film that looks like Kermit? That would be cool.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellblazer

John Constantine from Hellblazer. He has had a movie with Keanu Reeves and has a series out right now on TV (Kind of...). In my 7 years managing a fairly large comic book store Hellblazer was by far the most popular comic book that never sold a single copy. Everyone talked about it, no body bought it. I never ordered it, but DC sent me a copy every month anyway.

Basically imagine Dr Strange only British, overly sarcastic and full of angst. That will get you warm.

/BEGINHIJACK

Quote Originally Posted by Critenstein View Post
    John Constantine from Hellblazer. He has had a movie with Keanu Reeves and has a series out right now on TV (Kind of...).
    I REALLY enjoyed the show and am sad to see it go. But there are rumors of SyFy picking him up.

/ENDHIJACK

Everything dies to removal. It comes down to how you use Constantine and what your opponent is running. Sure MP can get rid of him, but if you have other bombs fielding that turn that is going to be a tough choice for your opponent. As a 2 cost, your able to pick him up fast enough that just the thought of him on the field can pull your opponent off of their game plan. If he was a 5 cost like a lot of control cards that we have seen so far, I don't think he would be as worrisome for most people. Loki and Joker can really be tough to deal with but their 5 cost puts them just out of the sweet spot unless you use BEWD. And John is so smooth with the ladies that Psylock can't do anything about him unless there is another threat coming out of the bag.

I agree Alphans, Constantine has made control decks viable because you can get cheap versatile control out on the board as fast as any ramp deck. Even more so since he ramps right into the stronger control cards of Loki, Joker and Deadman, not to mention the all powerful Jinzo.

Constantine is a game-changer. Deadman is an excellent character, and a perfect teammate. I'm looking forward to messing with both. He wasn't on my radar before "NEW ACTION DECK", so kudos to you for bringing him into the mainstream.

Yeah I realized after playing you that preventing my opponent from fielding wasn't as good as preventing my opponent from attacking and blocking. Fielded characters are out of rotation and thus "thinned" from my opponent's bag and are also targetable by my other control cards, while a non-fielded character is still helping my opponent ramp.

I think having Loki/Joker still compliments Deadman very well. There are some characters that you aren't as much worried about attacking or blocking as you are about when fielded or what happens while on the field. Deadman is a poor choice for Green Goliath slapping his hands together. I feel the best bet might be to run the shield trilogy (Constantine ramping into either Deadman or Joker) if your doing that form of control. This way you can hold back aggro or board wipe control. Add in PXG and Psylock, then all you need is a 3 card win con of some sort. Maybe run Human paladin (another shield) Colossus rare maybe BEWD for a little speed up on your controllers. Basics as Resurrection and Polymorph.

Polymorph is a bad idea to run if you're bringing a control deck. It bypasses too many of your control cards.

Poly a Constantine target onto the field. Poly Deadman/Loki/Joker into anything else. Buying the card would slow your opponent, but he would then have a very versatile ramp/removal action die that only helps you mildly.

I actually do see options for Polymorph in such a build but agree that it could be a double-edged sword.

I expect it to be quite present in the meta moving forward so that ought to temper the potential of your own Poly doing you in.

True. You would need a faster win con for it to work better. I am always on the boat of "if your opponent has to buy something something of yours to deal with you, that's a turn in which they are not working on their win con." That is the reason I run imprison on my team. Everyone at my local store knows I run it, so they start buying it early to "try" to deal with me. I just start punching them with Mr. Frieze for 9-14 damage since all they are doing is maybe throwing a sidekick in my way.

I guess the team I kind of worked out earlier would work better in my flgs's meta.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    /BEGINHIJACK

I REALLY enjoyed the show and am sad to see it go. But there are rumors of SyFy picking him up.

/ENDHIJACK
    I'm not a Hellblazer fan, but I admit, I enjoyed the show quite a bit. Probably more than Shield. I can't beleive it, but it's true.

Where can we find Joker/Deadman cards at? I have only seen one DC card so far and it was the promo Harley Quinn.

DC should be hitting stores in about a week. I sent all the DC cards i got at Nationals (through playing Rainbow drafts with pre-release DC gravity feeds) to our guy Ken. He will be scanning them, and putting them in our database soon.

FYI, uncommon Deadman reads: When fielded, choose a character. That character cannot attack or block until Deadman is no longer active.

uncommon Joker reads: When fielded, choose an opponent’s character card, cancelling all previous choices. Your opponent cannot field that character while The Joker is active.

Both of these are interesting, especially that they made Joker a UC whereas Loki, with the same ability, was a rare

As you will hear on this weeks podcast, I completely flipped my latter three.