Thread: Note taking

I haven't heard of issues with this one way or another.

A few notes here and there? I don't mind myself. It can't interrupt the flow of the game. There are some in MTG who take so many notes to try and figure out if their opponent is on the up-and-up and at that point I think you're just trying to keep too many plates spinning. I wonder what the most efficient way to do it for reports is?

There is no rule against it. If it happened at an event where I judge, I would certainly allow it (it has happened while I was judging, but no one complained so I didn't need to rule on it). People might do it to help them remember what their opponent has purchased so they can better figure out what is their opponent's bag. I think I saw some people doing it at nationals on the feed. There's really no reason not to allow it other than if you think people with poor memories should suffer any more than they already do in life

it wouldn't bother me as long as it didn't cause an issue with the round time.

I actually never thought to take notes, but it would be cool to be able to look back at the game to analyze and study 'what works'. I worry less about someone taking notes and more about someone counting dice, which I can't do.

Quote Originally Posted by thadiff View Post
    What do you mean exactly by "counting dice"? Do you mean where people keep track of the dice via memory? Or something more like counting cards to make optimal plays?
    More like 'card counting'. A buddy of mine does it all in his head. He maps out the dice I have for each character plus sidekicks and actions purchased. He usually knows what's in my bag. Allowing someone to map that out on a piece of paper could slow the game to a crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by SJ_Mitchell View Post
    More like 'card counting'. A buddy of mine does it all in his head. He maps out the dice I have for each character plus sidekicks and actions purchased. He usually knows what's in my bag. Allowing someone to map that out on a piece of paper could slow the game to a crawl.
    All information in this game is open.

The only part that needs memorising (or noting down) is how many dice were on each character at the start of the game.

Everything else can be easily deduced from what one can see.

At any point in the game.

For example, if you know your opponent started with 4 Tsarina dice, there are only 3 on his card, and none visible in any of the zones, or placed out of play, then you know he must have 1 in his bag.