Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What ability would you most like to see in the next set?

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries

What ability would you most like to see in the next set?

We've talked about characters and sets, but what ability would you most like to see added? As Dave likes to say, show your work and tell us why that's the ability or card text or global that's missing.

Churn disruption. And better than the halfling thief. It shouldn't be cheap to do but it should be an option. I'd like to see the dice bag become more relevant.

Captain Atom

When Captain Atom attacks you may move one die from your opponent's reserve pool to their used pile. Captain Atom gets +1A for each die moved.

Thematically, Captain Atom is absorbing their energy and using it against them. Not sure if this should be a when attacks or when fielded ability.

Professor Xavier
    Political Face of Mutants
    While Professor X is active, all other X-men characters cannot be targeted by your opponent's action dice or abilities.
    Global - Pay to spin any number of your Sidekick dice to their side (if active, move them to your reserve pool).

Best way to lessen Prof X dependency, make another attractive option, of the same name. This guys does for X-men what Lord of D. does for dragons, AND provides a global that, if it were on any other character would be a must have, but since it and PXG can't both be on the field (unless your opponent brings it) here it is a significant counter balance.
    edit: mask is lower case.

I'd really like a global that reads: blocking characters deal no damage when blocking. As a counter point to the Smash! Global ability. Very useful in preventing Nova and Hulk triggering from attacks.

I would want something that serves as a patch between sets. It'd be cool if there was something that'd let you take Adventurers to a unlimited tourney without being at even more of a disadvantage. I'm thinking a basic action card:

2 - Multidimensional Transfusion

This die adds any one affiliation or alignment to any number of (non-sidekick/NPC) characters with a total fielding cost of 2 or less. This lasts until the end of the round.

There's probably unforeseen consequences, but if not this then even if it just made characters into monsters and put it in the next D&D set (uhh... Baleful Polymorph or something)

Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    Captain Atom

When Captain Atom attacks you may move one die from your opponent's reserve pool to their used pile. Captain Atom gets +1A for each die moved.

Thematically, Captain Atom is absorbing their energy and using it against them. Not sure if this should be a when attacks or when fielded ability.
    This! Fantastic idea. Not overpowered, but certainly useful.

Yes, it's interesting that we can declare things villains, but adventurous and the justice league and the Justice Society aren't recruiting.

I'd love to be able to puchase one of my opponents unpurchased dice. Perhaps a "When Fielded" ability on a character that is known for possessing of other people's bodies. The die would have to belong to a character that doesn't also exist in your own team though, just so you don't get the abilities mixed up. You would pay the normal purchase cost, as it if were your own, and then the die would go to your used pile and be treated as if it were your own for the rest of the game...perhaps a burst side that sends the new die right to the prep area. This is similar to "Loki - Illusionist", but you aren't just controlling an existing character already in your opponent's field, you are actually buying one of them for your own team.

I've got the perfect fit for this ability on a new character in a future Marvel set too - "The Shadow King". What I love about this, is that it sets up the potential for 2 dice that originated from the same card to do battle against eachother...something that would be very thematic to The Shadow King.
    Last edited by Meatman; 04-20-2015 at 07:24 PM.

I would like the ability to "exile" or "cull" dice. It would have to be carefully measured and may not be something that could happen if and until PXG is rotated out, but it could add a neat dimension that is in other deckbuilders but not in this one.

I'd like to see more alternate ways of purchasing/fielding characters. Ritual, Fusion, and Limited Wish were all a good start, but it'd be neat to see them do more things that can stabilize a bad roll or let you pull off neat fielding combos if you build yourself right.

Yeah, I wanted fusion and ritual to be something that was more prevalent in that set, not just tied to specific characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I would like the ability to "exile" or "cull" dice. It would have to be carefully measured and may not be something that could happen if and until PXG is rotated out, but it could add a neat dimension that is in other deckbuilders but not in this one.
    This. Remove a Sidekick from the game. I'd really like to see this happen.

I would love to see more globals with neutral energy. I would also love to see culling dice like in quarriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Yes, it's interesting that we can declare things villains, but adventurous and the justice league and the Justice Society aren't recruiting.
    I think the rationale here is mainly because of the thematic issues that it would create. Being a villain is really just a state of mind...there have been many storylines in comics and movies where our favourite "good guy superhero" has a personal crisis and they "go bad" and do "evil things" for a short period of time.

If any character could be assigned any affiliation, then we'd end up with some pretty strange situations that would likely upset a lot of the purists out there. Can you imagine a Sentinel with an Xmen affiliation, or The Joker with a Justice Society affiliation? Or even better...what about Apocolypse as a member of the Justice League?

I see what you're saying, but I'd like to see a version of Captain America or Iron Man (a character that would thematically) be able to recruit and deputize new Avengers.

Ahhh...okay...that makes more sense, I wasn't thinking that way. If the ability were on an appropriate character and not just a basic action card, it could work thematically. Maybe the ability would also only be able to apply to non-villian characters, just so that you wouldn't be stuck with something like Green Goblin on the Avengers. Maybe Prof X could so the same for the X-Men.

"Pay 2 to target any non-villian character. Target Character gains the X-Men affilication until end of the turn"
    Last edited by Meatman; 04-21-2015 at 08:25 AM.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what are some of the benefits to spending two masks for that?

Quote Originally Posted by RJRETRO View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but what are some of the benefits to spending two masks for that?
    I think 2 energy would be too pricey. But a single energy? Why not? It could be crazy with Patch, the upcoming OP Scarlet Witch, any version of the Sentinel.

That was just an example. You could also do it on Captain America, as Randy suggests.

"Pay 2 to target any non-villian character. Target Character gains the Avengers affilication until end of the turn"

Let's say I have Nick Fury Patch fielded, with the new Captain America "Recruiter" global available, and I've got Wolverine Formerly Weapon 10 also fielded. Make Wolverine an Avenger...and all of a sudden he can hit your opponent with 24 Damage.

Fair point though, there isn't really any dynamite ability that only applies to X-Men characters where this would be a really valuable thing for Prof X...at least not yet.

Yeah, I could see the Avengers benefit but not the X-Men. Good point nonetheless -- nothing stopping future sets from making that even more useful.

Or maybe a global could be too overpowered, with Patch. What about "While Captain America is active, unaffiliated characters you control gain the Avengers team affiliation."

That's actually much better. Maybe also only unaffiliated characters under a certain purchasing cost?

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    I used to play a card game (typical 52 card deck) where the rules changed every round. I love the idea of when active affiliation manipulation. It fits with Retaliation. And I think Recruiter is the right ability for some characters. Heroic failed, but that doesn't mean the ability is dead. I think there's potential.

Could we see a form of recruiter that gave you one turn with a level one side of an opponent die? Obviously a costly character to be sure, but think about the possibilities of a PX who could grab control of an opponent die in the turn he was fielded and then return the die to the card.

I would like to an ability/action where it reduces the number of dice my opponent is able to draw per turn. This would be a good counter to PXG.

Galactus
    10F

"While Galactus is active opponents can't draw more than 3 dice during their draw phase."

Basically Galactus ate one of your opponent's dice. His cost is high, so that when he does come out like Phoenix Force its a major game changer. This of course would also have to be an OP.