View Poll Results: Which one is "better"?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thrown Car

2 40.00%
  • Anger Issues

3 60.00%

Thread: Anger Issues or Thrown Car

Anger Issues or Thrown Car

Alright. I won't beat around the bush... I'm making a thematic team that will use one of these basic actions. Which one is better?

Thrown Car - 4 cost - Two of your target characters get +1A. While attacking, damage that those two characters deal in excess of the total defense of blocking characters is dealt to your opponent.

Anger Issues - 4 cost - Target character gets +3A and Overcrush this turn (damage dealt in excess of blockers' health is dealt to opponent). Global: Pay [1 Fist]. Target character gets +1A until end of turn.

And just for reference, here's the rulebook text for Overcrush: When attacking, if this character knocks out all of its blockers, it deals any leftover damage to your opponent.

The obvious difference is that Anger Issues (specifically Overcrush) requires the blocking characters to be KO'd in order to deal excess damage to the opponent. This only REALLY matters if the blocking character is someone like Superman, Last Son of Krypton: Superman cannot be damaged during the Attack Step.

But how often will you run in to that scenario?

Thrown Car on the other hand, can bypass that because it doesn't specify that the blocking characters need KO'd. But how often are you attacking with two characters with a high enough attack power for this to really be effective?

So which one is "better"? Anger Issues or Thrown Car?

I think both have advantages and disadvantages, Anger Issues has a pumping ability that could be invaluable to a team where fist energy is not a problem, but Thrown Car gives two characters Trample, which could be better in a lot of teams. One guy having overcrush can just be distracted back, two can as well but it would take double the energy. The one thing that is hard about both of them is they cost 4, which is a little expensive for competitive play. If you could get Slifer in your pool, plus either of these, that would be pretty epic.

Are you running distraction? Distraction would combo with thrown car, but not Overcrush (unless I missed a ruling otherwise). Basically, thrown car your guys, distract their blockers, still do full damage. It makes the distraction global both offensive and defensive.

If you used Anger Issues, you couldn't run that combo, and would need to instead run something that let's you KO defenders to "trample" that damage in.

That's incorrect, if you distract them away they never deal damage so neither would trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Are you running distraction? Distraction would combo with thrown car, but not Overcrush (unless I missed a ruling otherwise). Basically, thrown car your guys, distract their blockers, still do full damage. It makes the distraction global both offensive and defensive.

If you used Anger Issues, you couldn't run that combo, and would need to instead run something that let's you KO defenders to "trample" that damage in.
    Gotta agree with Stormyknight. Thrown Car specifis "Damage they deal...", so if you Distraction them back, they never deal damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyknight View Post
    I think both have advantages and disadvantages, Anger Issues has a pumping ability that could be invaluable to a team where fist energy is not a problem, but Thrown Car gives two characters Trample, which could be better in a lot of teams.
    FYI, I'm planning on running the basic action Cone of Cold, for the global: Pay . One blocked attacker get +2A.

Question about Overcrush:
    If I block a character with Overcrush and then use Blue Eyes Global to KO that blocker, does Owvercrush deal damage to me? The attacker is not knocking out the blocker.

Overcrush: When attacking, if this character knocks out all of its blockers, it deals any leftover damage to your opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    Question about Overcrush:
    If I block a character with Overcrush and then use Blue Eyes Global to KO that blocker, does Owvercrush deal damage to me? The attacker is not knocking out the blocker.

Overcrush: When attacking, if this character knocks out all of its blockers, it deals any leftover damage to your opponent.
    Let's say the Overcruching attacker has 6 attack. I'd say that you are dealt 6 damage, but since that character was "blocked" before you KO'd your own character, the Overcrusher would return to the field. So, if I were ruling, that would be just about the worst possible play. But I'm not an official judge... Not sure how that would be ruled.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    FYI, I'm planning on running the basic action Cone of Cold, for the global: Pay . One blocked attacker get +2A.
    Great minds think alike, I was running a deck with dragons and I had cone of cold and thrown car just to see how dragons and trample were. Problem I had is I never got to trample because I won before I actually got a chance to use it.

Great minds think alike, I was running a deck with dragons and I had cone of cold and thrown car just to see how dragons and trample were. Problem I had is I never got to trample because I won before I actually got a chance to use it.
    Haha, good problem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Let's say the Overcruching attacker has 6 attack. I'd say that you are dealt 6 damage, but since that character was "blocked" before you KO'd your own character, the Overcrusher would return to the field. So, if I were ruling, that would be just about the worst possible play. But I'm not an official judge... Not sure how that would be ruled.
    Honestly with the way Overcrush is worded (if it says that the overcrusher has to knock out the blocker), it is inherently a broken mechanic (not way too good, unreasonably bad and not working as intended). If your attacking character isn't the one to knock out the character the damage is wasted according to the wording. This means the blue eyes global is a counter to overcrush. I don't think that was their intention of that is true.

If your attacking character isn't the one to knock out the character the damage is wasted according to the wording.
    Well, I just submitted the question to the rules forum. Maybe we will get an answer soon since the mechanic kinda hinges on it.

Quote Originally Posted by alphans View Post
    There already is a ruling on Overcrush.
    Thanks! I must have missed that ruling when it came out.

Phew I'm glad about that one, I didn't want blue eyes to be a counter for trample -_-

It seems like that ruling should also imply that thrown car (which works like Doc Oc) would work identically to over crush. Thus the real discussion is +1 to 2 targets and over crush OR +3 to 1 and a global.

It depends on if you are planning a high attack swarm comp or a single target smash your opponent while walling his forces. That global is also pretty useful.

I would say no still, it's about the same for me as an unblockable attacker, it can still be distracted away. But if distraction isn't around Anger Issues is better because of the global.