Thread: First ladder challenge win!

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries

First ladder challenge win!

Not to be that guy... but I am that guy! Randy got his revenge in game two, which may be worth something because he's now ranked higher than me. Loads of fun. Thanks for continuing to help me test this out, Randy!

Yea. For those who look at the ladder and wonder how we went 1-1 and I am in 1st, and Jthomash2 is in 7th... it's because of the Elo scoring system. Jthomash2 won our first game. We both had 0-0 records at the time, so he got a few points for beating someone the same level as him, and I lost a few points for losing to someone with the same record. That game put Jthomash2 in 1st place all in his own, and me in 7th. So, when I won the 2nd game the scoring system said "wow, Randy, you just beat someone 6 ranks higher than yourself, have a bunch of points!" ...and conversely, Jthomash2 lost a bunch of points by losing to someone 6 ranks lower than himself. These crazy swings can happen when there's a lot of people tied in the rankings. The more people play and break up the field, the more regular point gains and losses will become.

But as I told him last night. We went 1-1, hut I'm ranked higher. Clearly I'm the better player. Rankings don't lie.

Rating systems have a "warmup period" for each person. For each player, you have to get a number of games into the system before it starts to give reliable results. Was that second win by Randy just a fluke and he'll never win another game again? Could be.

You have to wait until there is some history before they can said to be accurate. But it is still a heck of a lot of fun to watch them develop at the beginning even though we know we can't put much faith in them yet. Eventually we will be able to.

This could be a lot of fun. Maybe in the future there can be some sort of a "scheduled game night" where others can watch the games as well. I know I'd enjoy it at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRETRO View Post
    This could be a lot of fun. Maybe in the future there can be some sort of a "scheduled game night" where others can watch the games as well. I know I'd enjoy it at the very least.
    In the works...

Even better if we could start streaming more games. Look out MTG, Dice Masters is coming!

Blog Entries
    Randy! I just figured it out. I needed to use an unlikely global to protect the character you knocked out in the second match. Man I knew I had a way to win. Ugh, that is so frustrating!

Yes. Yes, this has been eating at me since Tuesday night. For a hangouts game that had nothing riding on it and more than its fair share of technical difficulties. I'm going to be a complete disaster this weekend... But it should be fun!

Bragging rights are underrated. Can't let Randy continue to be TRP Champion, can you?!

Blog Entries
    It was just too self-deprecating an opportunity to text it to him... I bragged about a botched win in a public forum where I've already announced I'm hoping to play in a competitive event. There's irony or idiocy there somewhere.