Thread: Common Love

Common Love

I have noticed that most of the cards/dice that are spoken about here are either SR or R with the occasional UC. Are there any Commons out there that anyone uses in constructed events? (Booster Commons, not Starter cards.) If not, are there any that have potential if the environment changes in a specific way?

The common green goblin sees a decent amount of play, in flying sidekicks it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Professor X - Recruiting Young Mutants.

'Nuff said Bub.
    Beat me to it.

Maybe this isn't the intent of this thread, but when UXM came out I was willing to bet money that Cerebro Cybernetic Intelligence would be a game changer in constructed. .....maybe it could be now with all the action love...

Common Elf Wizard is the best elf wizard. Common prismatic spray is kinda sexy. Storm weather witch is common. Many commons with the same globals as the rarer cards are just as good in most games, red dragon for example.

I use common Namor more than the others, and common Pyro is also a ton-o-fun.

Commons get more love in this game than in other games, I'd argue.

I'm running a commons only instructed OP event Sunday. I'll try to post the deck lists after.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    I'm running a commons only instructed OP event Sunday. I'll try to post the deck lists after.
    We did a commons only draft before... Punisher McRook was a pretty hot commodity.

L5R is fairly reliant on commons. A lot of rares are one per deck anyway.

The bottom feeder commons only costing 2 energy can be valuable...Kitty Pride, Human Torch, Falcon, Ant-Man. Especially if paried with something else...I recently did some devestating early damage in a game where I had the common Falcon and Ant-Man on thier level 3 side (both Avengers) paired with Patch. That was fun.

Mr. Anger could be good... he seriously has the potential. Especially with AoU full of Avengers characters.

I personally adore it. I just need to make it work in a deck.

I'm not able to make the common-only constructed event at my store today, but here's the team I was going to run:

http://dicemastersdb.com/team-builde...3025-4;1152-4;

I didn't really know what to expect, so I built this trying to be flexible. Precise purchase order depends on what you are looking at across the table, but the idea is to get a sidekick out there turns 1 or 2, and buy a polymorph then as well. Turn 3, buy the fatty that best serves your situation. Staring down a bunch of sidekicks? Go with Black Dragon. A swarm of smaller, non-sidekicks? Blue Dragon. One or two scary fatties? Jade Giant. Note that using polymorph to get Jade Giant into the field guarantees that he is on his burst side, so you can use magic missile to take out any character.

This team is totally untested. So it could be absolutely terrible in practice. However, it was a fun exercise in team building--hadn't viewed the game through a commons only lens before and it was very interesting.

A very powerful UXM-only team (that is still competitive at this point though not the be-all-end-all) is C/UC only. I don't have the article handy, it was originally on Dice Anon, but the core was something like:

It had some removal and support around it; Relentless and Imprisoned were the BACs.

It could get quite a lot of damage, reload, and then do it again, and the team only had I think two UCs total on it. Piloting it is pretty simple; Buy Kitty unless you can't, then buy Falcon. Get Iceman turn two. Maximize PXG use. Flip Iceman's stats, field a character, then remove/manipulate blockers/attack to your heart's content.

It might be the best in-set team that there is in the game.

Also, lots of love for Injection Fairy Lily. Some of these Yu-Gi-Oh characters are really good in the game and it makes me want to start watching the show and learning more about them.

I tried watching the show to prepare for the set. I've heard that some of the series are much better than others, so maybe I just picked the wrong one, but the pilot I saw was so bad I literally laughed out loud at times. Worth watching at least one episode for the context though.

Has anyone had success with just making teams of commons and giving them out to play with friends? Seems like a great way to get others into it

Should be able to no problem. Lots of good commons out there. Professor X, Namor, Falcon, Ant-Man, Pyro, etc. Just throwing names out there.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRETRO View Post
    Also, lots of love for Injection Fairy Lily. Some of these Yu-Gi-Oh characters are really good in the game and it makes me want to start watching the show and learning more about them.
    Not to sound all hipster, but read the manga instead. It's tuned to a slightly older crowd and comes across as a little bit less of an advertisement for the CCG. I actually really enjoyed it.

Actually, that's a really good idea. I actually do enjoy reading Mangas, and I never considered YGO before you just mentioned. I think I'll do exactly that.

It's actually fairly dark going in and the card game they play at the beginning of the manga isn't "Duel Monsters". It is actually *gasp* Magic: The Gathering! The Anime is actually more enjoyable if you know the back story in the manga. It is worth the read.