Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: What's your "classic?"

  1. #1

    What's your "classic?"

    For me, it's Catan.

    It was my first "modern" purchase, and I don't think I'll ever get bored playing it.

    What games would you say is your classic?

  2. #2
    2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion
    360

    Location
    Akron, OH
    Blog Entries
    2
    I LOVE Power Grid. I would play Power Grid or Acquire any day of the week.

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    I LOVE Power Grid. I would play Power Grid or Acquire any day of the week.
    I played it once. Maybe my group got some rules wrong or something, but we just couldn't get into it.

    Are there any common mistakes you've heard of, that maybe we were making? (It's been a couple years since we've tried to play it, so I honestly don't remember much about it.)

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
    For me it is Cosmic Encounter, King of Tokyo or Ingenius. Those are some of my earliest entries into modern board games yet still remain strong. I get the same feeling with Catan but it left my collection. (maybe the next Asmodee version will bring it back for me)

    Splendor feels very classical for me despite being a very new modern game.
    King of Tokyo is another one that's pretty high up for me. I think it's just a personal nostalgia thing though, as it was my 2nd modern game purchase, after Catan.

    I agree with the statement on Splendor, too. It has that classic feel, for sure.

  6. #6
    2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion
    360

    Location
    Akron, OH
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzarony View Post
    I played it once. Maybe my group got some rules wrong or something, but we just couldn't get into it.

    Are there any common mistakes you've heard of, that maybe we were making? (It's been a couple years since we've tried to play it, so I honestly don't remember much about it.)
    It's maths heavy. For some that's a problem. Changing turn order can be tricky. And the goal isn't money made, it's powering the most cities. All these things can make it a little hard to love and really get in a groove with. The last turn ends up taking forever because folks are mathing out each possibility to the end, but I give it a pass on all of the above.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    It's maths heavy. For some that's a problem. Changing turn order can be tricky. And the goal isn't money made, it's powering the most cities. All these things can make it a little hard to love and really get in a groove with. The last turn ends up taking forever because folks are mathing out each possibility to the end, but I give it a pass on all of the above.
    I like math heavy games. Perhaps it was just first playthrough struggles, then...

  8. #8
    For me it's Agricola. I am absolutely terrible at that game. I seldom win but I absolutely love it to this day. It was my first game that was on the heavier side. I remember looking at the different improvements and occupations and having my mind blown.

    It has given way to other games. I haven't played it in a long time because I'm a bit burnt out on it and other games have surpassed it (Viticulture) but it will always be in my collection.

  9. #9
    I love Alien Frontiers. Worker placement + dice + area control. It's such a great game. The components are just excellent and I have fun every time I play it. Easily in my top three games.

  10. #10

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankholdup View Post
    For me it's Agricola. I am absolutely terrible at that game. I seldom win but I absolutely love it to this day. It was my first game that was on the heavier side. I remember looking at the different improvements and occupations and having my mind blown.

    It has given way to other games. I haven't played it in a long time because I'm a bit burnt out on it and other games have surpassed it (Viticulture) but it will always be in my collection.
    I love this game. Gotta play it with the cards for sure. Caverna is a step away from ''misery farming'' but I love the game for its ''want to do it all but can't'' aspects

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzarony View Post
    I like math heavy games. Perhaps it was just first playthrough struggles, then...
    We get a lot of play out of Power Grid. I think between @geneaber and myself we own all the maps. The variations are fun. Definitely need to spring for the poker chips with it.

  13. #13
    first modern game to draw me in: Settlers of Catan. I have played so many times I just can't anymore.

    The next big ones for us were Dominion and Carcassonne and they are still among my favorite classics to play. Got them both to the table in the last week.

  14. #14
    The draw for me was decidedly more Ameritrashy - Heroscape. Grabbed the Marvel set because it looked interesting, and then before I finished the first game immediately ordered more product. Then, my wife (at that time we were still dating) came over with Carcassone and Dominion. Not long after, I discovered The Dice Tower and the Secret Cabal. That was pretty much the beginning of it all for us.

  15. #15
    A friend I used to play the WoW TCG with brought Lords of Waterdeep to a gaming session as a thing to do after playing WoW.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankholdup View Post
    For me it's Agricola. I am absolutely terrible at that game. I seldom win but I absolutely love it to this day. It was my first game that was on the heavier side. I remember looking at the different improvements and occupations and having my mind blown.

    It has given way to other games. I haven't played it in a long time because I'm a bit burnt out on it and other games have surpassed it (Viticulture) but it will always be in my collection.
    My sister and her husband have tried to get me to like it... I just don't though lol. There are other worker placement games that I have liked so I am not sure what it is. Maybe the theme?

  17. #17
    Agricola you mean? Some feel the feed your people aspect is overly punishing in that game. Maybe that's it?

  18. #18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •