Thread: Your 3-0 Rainbow draft team!

Your 3-0 Rainbow draft team!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	187

Her here is my undefeated D&D rainbow draft team. The dice I bought 100% of games were Kobold, Purple Worm, Drow Assasin and both basic actions. 40-50% of my games had Umber Hulk, Gelatinous Cube and Skeleton. 0% Zombie and Red Dragon. My last game I had bought all 3 Finger of Death with Drow bolts(R.D.G) to try to counter and tough Polymorph/unblockable Invisible Stalker.

Kobold uc x3
    Purple Worm uc x2
    Umber Hulk r x1
    Drow Assasin c x2
    Gelatinous Cube c x3
    Skeleton uc x2
    Red Dragon c x1
    Zombie uc x3

Resurrection, Finger of Death
    Last edited by Dusty; 04-23-2015 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Team/die update

Did you go up against any Good Teams or any Dragon Teams? my 3-0 draft team was Dwarf Cleric, Copper Dragon, Blue Dragon, Half dragon, Green Dragon, Human Paladin, Unicorn and Treant. I could go adventurer if my opponent bought swarm ramp, and then get a few dragons to wipe his board and level my adventurers. Copper dragon hard countered an equipment team, uncommon cleric did the same to an undead team. Meanwhile Half-dragon into blue and green dragons let me swarm the board, ping for a bit, then breath the green dragon's breath weapon and make all of my opponent's characters unable to block/dead from breath weapon. The unicorn also let me synergize my Good characters (I had 5 of them) and field them for free, on top of his overall good stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Did you go up against any Good Teams or any Dragon Teams? my 3-0 draft team was Dwarf Cleric, Copper Dragon, Blue Dragon, Half dragon, Green Dragon, Human Paladin, Unicorn and Treant. I could go adventurer if my opponent bought swarm ramp, and then get a few dragons to wipe his board and level my adventurers. Copper dragon hard countered an equipment team, uncommon cleric did the same to an undead team. Meanwhile Half-dragon into blue and green dragons let me swarm the board, ping for a bit, then breath the green dragon's breath weapon and make all of my opponent's characters unable to block/dead from breath weapon. The unicorn also let me synergize my Good characters (I had 5 of them) and field them for free, on top of his overall good stats.
    No big Dragon teams, I had a tougher time second game against a SR Mind Flayer but the timing never worked for him to capture my purple worm, thank goodness! I did see a few dragons that match but the breath weapon just prepped me next turn for huge buys/globals. I actually Resurected a few Finger of Deaths that game...until Umber Hulk came out to clear dragons

I fear I won't get to do much D&D drafting, as someone keeps buying up all of my store's boosters. What do you find works well in draft in this set?

If there are 4+ half dragons in your rainbow, Make sure to take as many Blues and Greens as you can, get the half dragons along the way and snag a red. Then you're set.

If there's 4+ pit fiends, watch out for the guy drafting them, they're pretty solid and can ramp SUPER fast.

My ace team was Dwarf cleric, Copper dragon, Good team draft, with the above dragon splash. The Dragon splash makes Copper dragon a good pick, and Dwarf cleric counters 1/3 of the set with his immunity to Undead (uncommon Dwarf). The copper dragon counters equipment teams, and still synergizes with Half-dragon.
    On top of all of this advice, take an adventurer. At least one. Elf wizard is good, paladin is good, cleric is good. the other two are average. Adventurers are your late game win condition because experience lets you ramp them up in a way that PXG doesn't, by making 6/8 Elf wizards cost 3 to buy after you get 6 xp. Adventurers already counter swarm (which is kinda terrible in draft anyway), and can be comboed with Magic missile to get cheap and easy xp every turn.

Watch out for the experienced players who pick up drow assassin and other adventurer hate, and simply field your dragons against them. Between dragons and adventurers you should be able to handle any threats your opponent brings to bear.

The Top 5 D&D cards/combos from my drafting would be;
    Kobold-cheap ramp, the uncommon seems self-defeating against Adventurers but really it's text saves you from giving easy XP on the opponents turn.

Elf Wizzard-any! Actions are big in this set, the rare is my favorite defense to a action happy opponent.

Purple Worm-uncommon, this guys is a huge problem for your opponent's SR Mindflayer or any big/while active dudes in the field.

Umber Hulk-rare, a 66.6% chance your enemy has a level 1 or 2 if they have A character fielded (100% chance for SK/NPCs!) clear them out, swing U.H. and repeat.

Lastly Equipment- adventurers, kobolds, zombie and a few others can utilize these cards. Invincible/death-touch zombies....look into it!

Congrats! What were your most purchased/fielded characters? I'm guessing Firestorm was in all your games

All bolt all the time. Game was buy Red Tornado, buy Blue Beetle, buy a Cheetah, buy Firestorm (with Villainous Pact global) buy second Cheetahs, buy two Hawkman in that order. I swung whenever I could with Hawkman and Cheetah and pinged them all to death. churning them quickly back to the field with Red Tornado. I loved dat churning action.

I never bought Atom or Deadman, and maaaybe Stargirl once.
    Last edited by varthanna; 05-01-2015 at 02:10 PM.

That's a solid draft lineup, my friend. I can't wait to get Firestorm into mixed play. I love the bolt play - they're just getting better and better.

What did I run last night... I went 3-0 with 6 total players.

OK, my basic actions were Gearing Up and Inner Rage (never bought IR once).

Constantine - Antihero - 3 dice
    Lex Luthor - Power Suit (should've used Former President, but apparently it kept opponents from buying basic action dice, so that works) - 2 dice
    Deadman - Possessive Talents - 1 die
    Red Tornado - Rannian - 2 dice (real mvp)
    Katana - Soultaker Sword - 2 dice
    Solomon Grundy - Died on a Saturday - 2 dice
    Stargirl - Courtney Whitmore - 4 dice
    Green Arrow - Former Mayor - 1 die

17 dice total - not bad at all

Every game I basically had the same life chunks happen.

I'd do about 10 to start, then another 7, then another 3 to finish.

My opponent would get me down to 3-11, but by getting that damage in always leave themselves open

my first game, I just kept using my opponent's Invulnerability basic action card and buying all of its dice, so that I could attack with impunity

I also bought 1 gearing up in either the first or second turn of every game, which always ended up being a deciding factor

also, I had no globals on the characters I drafted, while my opponents all had plenty - which helped me a lot more than them

One person had Relentless with the pay a mask, target character can't block, and I ended the game because I had 5 and he had 4 dudes, and I rolled 2 masks and a question and kept 3 from blocking, then paying another 1 lightning bolt from one of his characters to give +1 attack (global) to one of my sidekicks, to deal the last 3 damage.

Red Tornado was another MVP, only being a 3 cost with his stats - no special powers, but pure blunt force - works for me, same with Solomon Grundy - he was never engaged with a lower level character, but his stats worked out well
    never fielded a Deadman or Green Arrow (or even bought)

good ****, Miroki (name that quote)

and so I ended up with the Pandora's Box participation, Superman and 3 boosters for winning... nobody pulled the SR, and then a Black Canary SR was in one of my 3 winner's boosters as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I fear I won't get to do much D&D drafting, as someone keeps buying up all of my store's boosters. What do you find works well in draft in this set?
    Uncommon Manticore was really strong keeps all their 1 defense guys from being fielded.

Finished my first DC draft today. Team was x3 x1 x2 x1 x1 x2 x2 x2.

Red Tornado is as good if not better than you think. He was my first choice for purchasing. After him it was go for Firestorm or Black Manta then Cheetah and Hawkman. Never even needed the other guys and didn't even buy any of them.

Love the synergy in this set.

x3 x3 x2 x2
    x2 x2 x2 x2

Turn 1: buy Hawkman turn one and prep a die
    Turn 2: buy Firestorm
    Turn 3: field bolts, buy Hawkman, Cheetah, or Blue Beetle if facing villains
    Turn 4 and later: field bolts/buy extra bolts

Another team went 3-0 but we didn't play each other
    Last edited by The Rev; 05-10-2015 at 03:05 PM.

FYI, guys and gals, we have a sub forum now for reporting successful teams (winners, runners up, top 8 in big events, etc). Check it out!

Actually, I think this was a mismove. If anything, should be encouraged to be in the "Winning Decklists" subforum, though strategy is probably ok. I'm going to move this back for now, but I encourage everyone to start new threads in the "winning decklists" stuff for drafts and constructed events to share what is working in their areas!