Thread: Rainbow Draft Question

After you draft, you get one die for each one of that character's cards you drafted.

To discuss this aspect of Rainbow drafting a bit more Virulent, I recommend drafting multiples of the card you KNOW you want, even before you draft good copies of stuff you THINK you want.

The layers of strategy Rainbow draft brings by giving you so much information ahead of time is really what makes this form of DM my favorite form of play. Having done limited format for many card games before this, including 10+ years of drafting Magic, I have got to say, it is really great to look at my two packs, look at the dice out there, and make a strategy even before I pick my first card. In Magic I'd have to look at my first pack, know the set commons and strategies well enough to predict what MIGHT get pulled, and then hope what I want makes it around to me.
    In rainbow draft I can SEE what characters have been pulled, and how many of each. This means I can make an assumption that If I take this SR stirge, and I see 5 stirge dice in the rainbow, I can likely assume if I prioritize it, I'll get 3-4 Stirges. On the other hand, it lets me know that the SR Mind Flayer I pulled is likely going to be a Rare Draft, not a played character, because he only has 1 dice in the whole rainbow. Looking past that, I can look at the Rare Unicorn, see that there are no Treants, 2 copper dragons and almost no adventurer dice, and decide I'd rather pick a common or uncommon than that rare, since there is nothing to synergize with it.

Knowing how many of each dice are in the rainbow can help you decide what cards to use as your early game, from there you can value the higher priced cards and their likely hood of seeing play. In this way, the Rainbow has done half of the work for you. Of course, if everyone else picks up on the same strategies as you, then maybe going the exact opposite is even better. I've done a few drafts now where I end up picking one high population card, and realize after that everyone else has grabbed one copy of it as well. I then am able to grab the quality low population cards while I see them scrambling for the high population characters and getting stuck with my scraps as I scrape the barrel of all quality choices. I end up with no more than 2 dice of the same thing, but the team cohesion is so tight that I don't need to ramp all that much, just field one of each dice, combo them out, and win the game.
    It's all about reading the Rainbow, counting the cards that come around, and knowing the set. Before you do a draft, read/listen to the set reviews, and do it in the way that it will stick with you the best during draft time. I'm a visual learner, so I greatly appreciate the Diceanon reviews because of the card images alongside the review, but I still listen to the TRP reviews so that I can get a broader opinion of each card. And like someone on the front page mentioned today, the commons and Uncommons MAKE or BREAK your draft. If you could build a reliably winning draft team on Commons alone, then you have just found the secret to winning every draft of that set that you play.

ok, I'm rambling. Must be a symptom of not having drafted in weeks. Also looking forward to the DC release, and hoping my store even gets some in in time, let alone has events. GL on drafting at your local store. Remember, just knowing the set and what makes good choices to draft (and why) is a whole match advantage in any draft. There's always gonna be that guy that isn't quite sure what he's doing, make sure you know more than him, and you will feel happy about team you drafted.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giphy.gif 
Views:	49 
Size:	491.4 KB 
ID:	188

Great info there Shadow. I'm participating in my first rainbow draft next weekend. This debreif will come in handy for sure.

No problem meat. I just found out my store is having a DnD Draft this weekend. Might take some notes so I can give a summary of the draft to post up here and why I chose what I chose.

Sounds like my store may be delayed on the new set.

That's a shame. Did they say why? My store said things are looking good for next week.

Thanks for the breakdown. Headed to my first rainbow draft this weekend as well. Anyone in SoCal is welcome to come through (http://wizkidseventsystem.com/event.php?EVENT_ID=106654)

Problem with the distributor. May only be a day or two, but still a bit of a bummer.

Rainbow Drafts really mess with my collection. I end up with too many dice of good characters and too few dice of bad characters. I had like 12 Ant-Man dice by the time I finished my set of 4 Sentinel dice.

You can never have too many Ant-Man dice! What a stud.

It's true, though that gives me enough to supply several "teaching" teams all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by jigsawhc View Post
    Thanks for the breakdown. Headed to my first rainbow draft this weekend as well. Anyone in SoCal is welcome to come through (http://wizkidseventsystem.com/event.php?EVENT_ID=106654)
    When I google that place it says that its permanently closed ?? Found two different phone numbers but neither of them worked. Do you happen to know what's up with that? I can't make it today but would like to keep an eye out for future events.

Quote Originally Posted by MatchesMalone View Post
    When I google that place it says that its permanently closed ?? Found two different phone numbers but neither of them worked. Do you happen to know what's up with that? I can't make it today but would like to keep an eye out for future events.
    I messaged them on Facebook and confirmed they are having the draft tomorrow. It seems like they closed and then re-opened from what I've been able to find out.
    They posted the event to facebook as well at https://www.facebook.com/events/795678897174944/

Sad days. Only 3 people showed for my rainbow draft, so it didn't fire. Next time.... next time.

Quote Originally Posted by jigsawhc View Post
    I messaged them on Facebook and confirmed they are having the draft tomorrow. It seems like they closed and then re-opened from what I've been able to find out.
    They posted the event to facebook as well at https://www.facebook.com/events/795678897174944/
    Oh cool. I'll add them on facebook. Thanks.