Thread: Long duration control

Long duration control

Working through my action control deck I had the opportunity to analize many of the control choices out there and I came to a realization: preventing my opponent from fielding things is not as useful as capturing or otherwise making useless fielded characters.

There are several reasons why this is true, but the biggest reason is, this is a deck building game, and removing something from your opponents deck is not only removing a threat, but also removing a resource. Not fielding a character, while it removes the threat, also still leaves a die in their bag that can roll a double resource, helping them ramp to a different threat.
    As such, the SR mindflayer, se Constantine and uncommon dead man are some of the better control cards in my opinion, and while Loki, Joker and Cerebro are good, they have been outclassed by the newer control cards.

I think it can be in a targeted sense. Messing with the stuff on the board is good but if you can methodically make their stuff useless and then prevent them from really doing much of anything. If you have Bomb A and Bomb B on your team and I get to the point where I stop you from being able to field Bomb A, now I can focus on Bomb B, whereas before I had to pick my poison.

Gelatinous cubes target a single die, while most other long term control targets whole characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Gelatinous cubes target a single die, while most other long term control targets whole characters.
    The Cube is kind of great if you need to hold a character's die "forever". I think this Capture is the only one that dose not end if Gel Cube leaves the field. I drafted a few of them because I knew there would be a great chance of a big, single purchased character coming at me. With Resurrection out a lot, you may be saving a shield after your roll anyways.

Imagine stealing their Wind Rider or other bomb for the whole game and making them buy another! Go Gel Cube!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    The Cube is kind of great if you need to hold a character's die "forever". I think this Capture is the only one that dose not end if Gel Cube leaves the field.
    I don't think this is the case. According to the rules (p. 18), "Unless otherwise noted, capturing ends at the end of the turn, or when the capturing die is knocked out."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    ....this is a deck building game, and removing something from your opponents deck is not only removing a threat, but also removing a resource...
    Hence, my comment here.