Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Card organization

Card organization

I originally was using 4 pocket ultra pro binders for my sets. I had sorted them alphabetically by character. So page 1 was Angel, page 2 was Beast etc. This worked out well because characters either have 3 or 4 cards each (not counting OP cards). I thought maybe it'd be easier to have one giant binder, so I got some 9 card sheet. However, now the characters with 4 cards throws off the organization a bit. I like seeing all of the same character's cards on the same page.

I'm just curious. How do you sort your cards? Do you put them in numerical order, alphabetical, or some other way? Anyone else run into this issue or am I just way too OCD?

I don't use binders, because I don't like the constant move from sleeve to binder and back again.

I have each card sorted by set in a deck box, so AVX has it's own, etc. The sets themselves are sorted alphabetically.

Options for 9-card pages, for Starter characters:

A A A
    A _ B
    B B B

You have one empty space in the middle but you can easily see all of them. Harder to do with characters that have a lot of OP cards though.
    Last edited by pk2317; 04-23-2015 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalFirefly View Post
    I originally was using 4 pocket ultra pro binders for my sets. I had sorted them alphabetically by character. So page 1 was Angel, page 2 was Beast etc. This worked out well because characters either have 3 or 4 cards each (not counting OP cards). I thought maybe it'd be easier to have one giant binder, so I got some 9 card sheet. However, now the characters with 4 cards throws off the organization a bit. I like seeing all of the same character's cards on the same page.

I'm just curious. How do you sort your cards? Do you put them in numerical order, alphabetical, or some other way? Anyone else run into this issue or am I just way too OCD?
    I use the four pocket solution, with one per set. Each is just big enough to hold the whole set plus any OP cards. I keep thinking about different options but this one just makes way too much sense.

I'm in transition on card storage, evaluating options. Right I have things stored double-sleeved in those long cardboard card boxes, with the major division being by set (AvX, UXM, YGO, etc). Each set has a different color sleeve so I never have to think twice about which set a card belongs to. Is this AvX Angel or UXM Angel? I acquired both of those sets at the same time, they're both Marvel, so they tend to blend together a bit for me.

Basic Actions are stored separately, but everything else within a set is stored alphabetically by card name (the top line), then rarity. Collector numbers are ignored. This organization is super-convenient for pulling and replacing cards as you need them. You can also store a lot of cards in a small amount of space. It's not good for either "displaying" a collection or just sitting back and browsing/reading cards. That's where binders are nice.

But the problem with binders/folios has already been mentioned by others--a 3x3 grid is annoying because starter set characters come in 4s. I will have a "card storage options" article for the site in a few weeks, but as a preview since this thread popped up, I will show you that there *is* a solution. BEHOLD:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dt1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	3.86 MB 
ID:	195
    A think of beauty, ain't it?

Four columns are beginning to become available and four columns are perfect! The starter set characters have four pockets and all other characters have room for all three of their variants, plus enough room to use the fourth column for an extra rare/SR for trading purposes. Beautiful, even if you're missing a some cards here and there: (and sorry for the bad photos--my picture taking/lighting options are limited this late at night)

Name:	dt2.jpg 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	196

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I don't use binders, because I don't like the constant move from sleeve to binder and back again.
    Not a problem. If you get the right binders/folios they can hold single or double-sleeved cards without removing them from the sleeves. In fact, you WANT to store cards in binders using sleeves. When an unsleeved card sits for a long time in a binder without moving, the back side of the card can slightly stick to backing of the binder pocket causing damage when removing it. Not good. All of the cards pictured above are double-sleeved--I can just slide them in and out as-is. My BFF set uses black sleeves and the backing is black so it's a bit hard to see that they're sleeved, but here's me holding one slightly out of the side-loading pocket:

Name:	dt3.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	3.40 MB 
ID:	197

Full details on this and other card storage solutions to come in a few weeks. Holler if there are options you want me to include in the round-up. I'll be watching this thread for ideas. It sounds like I should add a 4 pocket binder to the list as they've already been mentioned twice.

I use the nine-slot sleeves, and keep starter cards separate from the regular sets. Works for me.

I buy the collector boxes and keep the cards with the dice, by set, and then in alphabetical order. The dice are in the same order as the cards, so the cards act as a sort of index for the dice.

I have a screw box I got from Lowes to hold my spare Action/NPC dice and it has a spot big enough for a stack of cards I use for the action die headers and such.

I do plan on putting my action cards in a binder for simplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I'm in transition on card storage, evaluating options. Right I have things stored double-sleeved in those long cardboard card boxes, with the major division being by set (AvX, UXM, YGO, etc). Each set has a different color sleeve so I never have to think twice about which set a card belongs to. Is this AvX Angel or UXM Angel? I acquired both of those sets at the same time, they're both Marvel, so they tend to blend together a bit for me.

Basic Actions are stored separately, but everything else within a set is stored alphabetically by card name (the top line), then rarity. Collector numbers are ignored. This organization is super-convenient for pulling and replacing cards as you need them. You can also store a lot of cards in a small amount of space. It's not good for either "displaying" a collection or just sitting back and browsing/reading cards. That's where binders are nice.

But the problem with binders/folios has already been mentioned by others--a 3x3 grid is annoying because starter set characters come in 4s. I will have a "card storage options" article for the site in a few weeks, but as a preview since this thread popped up, I will show you that there *is* a solution. BEHOLD:

Name:	dt1.jpg 
Size:	3.86 MB 
ID:	195
    A think of beauty, ain't it?

Four columns are beginning to become available and four columns are perfect! The starter set characters have four pockets and all other characters have room for all three of their variants, plus enough room to use the fourth column for an extra rare/SR for trading purposes. Beautiful, even if you're missing a some cards here and there: (and sorry for the bad photos--my picture taking/lighting options are limited this late at night)

Name:	dt2.jpg 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	196

Not a problem. If you get the right binders/folios they can hold single or double-sleeved cards without removing them from the sleeves. In fact, you WANT to store cards in binders using sleeves. When an unsleeved card sits for a long time in a binder without moving, the back side of the card can slightly stick to backing of the binder pocket causing damage when removing it. Not good. All of the cards pictured above are double-sleeved--I can just slide them in and out as-is. My BFF set uses black sleeves and the backing is black so it's a bit hard to see that they're sleeved, but here's me holding one slightly out of the side-loading pocket:

Name:	dt3.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	3.40 MB 
ID:	197

Full details on this and other card storage solutions to come in a few weeks. Holler if there are options you want me to include in the round-up. I'll be watching this thread for ideas. It sounds like I should add a 4 pocket binder to the list as they've already been mentioned twice.
    That's great. Where did you get that?

+1 - 12 pocket seems like the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Options for 9-card pages, for Starter characters:

A A A
    A _ B
    B B B

You have one empty space in the middle but you can easily see all of them. Harder to do with characters that have a lot of OP cards though.
    I redid my cards this way. I have the starters on 2 pages with the center spot open. Everyone else fits nicely in rows of 3. This will work out great til I can find a 4x3 binder. Thanks for the tip. OCD fulfilled.

What is the fourth card for non starter characters in the 12 card binder? I could see going horizontal with starter characters, and then going vertical for non starter characters to maximize space.

Nice job though!

They are 38 bucks on Amazon. Search for 12 card binder and it's the first result. Might be available at other places too.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    What is the fourth card for non starter characters in the 12 card binder? I could see going horizontal with starter characters, and then going vertical for non starter characters to maximize space.

Nice job though!
    He said it's for an extra rare/super rare for trading.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    They are 38 bucks on Amazon. Search for 12 card binder and it's the first result. Might be available at other places too.
    Right, it is the DeckTudor FOUR v2 in the pictures, but that's not the 12 pocket one I'd recommend. For that you'll have to wait for my review. (PM me if you need to make a buy decision before then).

I use a normal binder with card pages I bought off Amazon. I'm really wishing I had bought something that has side openings... Top openings are kind of a hassle.

Right, it is the DeckTudor FOUR v2 in the pictures, but that's not the 12 pocket one I'd recommend. For that you'll have to wait for my review. (PM me if you need to make a buy decision before then).
    Is this article coming any time soon?

I store my cards in a 9 pocket binder, I have the basic actions in one section and the cards are in order by purchase cost then rarity.

Is this article coming any time soon?
    It's not imminent. I'm waiting for a certain new product to release, so I can include it, but that doesn't happen until mid month.

It's not imminent. I'm waiting for a certain new product to release, so I can include it, but that doesn't happen until mid month.
    Is it this one? http://www.ultrapro.com/product_info...oducts_id=3415

I use 9 card pages in a binder. I go straight alphabetical then by rarity. I just re-sorted my Marvel cards to accommodate the OP cards... making sure to leave spaces for the remaining three OP cards.

I do the same. It's going to be tougher when more sets come out, but luckily both my girlfriend and I adore sorting out stuff.