Thread: Is there a new hulk in town?

Is there a new hulk in town?

*Preface - I'm new to the community and to competitive DM, so I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, or is old hat.

So I've spent the majority of this week building and tweaking decks for competitive play, and Hulk - Green Goliath keeps making his way into the builds. He's very strong, and he makes fielding almost anything hard for your opponent, so he seems like a no brainer. The problem is, because he's so strong he tends to show up a lot on the other side of the table too, and that leads to hulk matches, where you have to do a lot of "hulk math" to try and have your Goliath come out on top.

What if you didn't have to though? Jade Giant has the same purchase price, but can kill anything in one hit on 2 out of 3 sides. Pair him with Magic missile and Iceman - Too cool for words and you can knock out their team almost as easily as with GG, but you don't run the risk of having their hulk wipe your board in the process. You can even run polymorph to guarantee that Hulk comes in on his burst side.

I have not yet play tested with Jade Giant, this is just a question I pose to the group, is he viable/better when you expect to see a lot of GG from your opponents?

Pros - better against big creatures, specifically Hulk-GG and Jinzo-Trap destroyer or any creature that triggers when they take damage

Cons - Worse agiasnt several small creatures/gobby decks, worse at his max level then GG

Green Goliath was everywhere at U.S. Nationals. So we will see if people say "he was popular at Nationals, he MUST be good!" Or "if everyone is using him, I need to find a way to stop him."

Canadian Nationals will be interesting. And then it will be fun to see how much the meta changes between then and Worlds with the release of DC.

Jade Giant is absolutely the right answer in the short term. Been experimenting a lot with him.

I'll have to see him used more. Maybe some people will use Hulk this weekend.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Ha! Maybe indeed...

A lot of people thinking the same thing here. I think the biggest thing he has going for him is that Polymorph gets him to his burst side right away. I'm definitely play testing him.

Assuming that is the case, and one was to play Hulk - Jade Giant instead of Hulk - Green Goliath, does that make Psylocke - Kwannon the Assassin less desirable? Clearly Psylocke is a cheaper upfront KO option, but I'm wondering if running both is redundant?

Not necessarily. Hulk is going to draw a lot of hate. If your opponent's successfully gets rid of him or locks him down with Loki Gem Keeper, Psylocke could be just what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Not necessarily. Hulk is going to draw a lot of hate. If your opponent's successfully gets rid of him or locks him down with Loki Gem Keeper, Psylocke could be just what you need.
    Assuming you have Polymorph, you can bypass Loki Gemkeeper and Constantine Hellblazer because the character isn't fielded. I wasn't sure about this at first, but in rewatching some of the matches from Nationals the commentator from WizKids specifically said that Polymorph doesn't field the character.

Thanks to tools like Weather Witch or perhaps additional removal, the Polymorph problem can be dealt with.

So which was is better? Using Polymorph on turn 3 to bring something right in to play (which can be stopped with Weather Witch) or making a big purchase on turn 2, and using Resurrection to refill your bag, likely rolling your big character on turn 3 (then Constantine could give you problems)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Thanks to tools like Weather Witch or perhaps additional removal, the Polymorph problem can be dealt with.
    I don't believe Polymorph says "target". Does that mean it doesn't target?

I believe that is mass abilities (eg, deal damage to everything) and abilities that don't hit specific dice (eg. Constantine) that are unaffected by things like WW. As Polymorph is impacting specific dice, it should be possible. May need a ruling, but Ring of Magnetism doesn't say "target" but is also a legal target for Weather Witch.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Still need something else which can legally be targeted... Right?

Well yeah you have to be able to redirect it to something, though WW can also do this to things even if they weren't a legal target for the initial ability.