Thread: First casual play

First casual play

I've been collecting Dicemasters since it came out last year. I know it sounds crazy, but I didnt actually get a chance to play it until a couple months ago. I did a few mock games against myself, And my friend and I played a few games.

My FLGS is doing a Dicemasters night every Thursday now and I'm going to go and play. I'm a little nervous because I won't know anyone there. Also I've constructed a few decks, but haven't actually played them yet.

Anyone have suggestions on how to maximize my fun and maybe what I can expect in my first real Dicemasters games?

I can only speak to what I've experienced at my FLGS and what I've heard about others. Yours may be different.

We have new players show up almost weekly. Everyone is very friendly and helpful to them. During games we try to teach the correct way to do things according to the rules so that players learn, but we let them take things back and allow "do overs" if they make a mistake or take actions out of order. The more experienced players are usually generous with loaning cards, playmats, dice, etc. and sometimes even give away extras to help new players.

This type of friendly, casual and fun atmosphere seems to be normal for most Dice Masters communities. I hope your experience is similar and very enjoyable for you!

Don't worry too much. As someone who plays rather competitively though, I like hearing when my opponent is new so I can tone down my tryhard and take some time to watch where I can help teach the game a little more.

Friendliness is the key for sure. Make it so they actually want to keep playing and come back. Only way to grow the game.

So I went to my FLGS tonight for Dicemasters night. I was the only one there to play Dicemasters. Ended up buying a gravity feed and opening all the packs. A little disappointing.

Yeah, that's how it is here too. Hopefully not forever!

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalFirefly View Post
    So I went to my FLGS tonight for Dicemasters night. I was the only one there to play Dicemasters. Ended up buying a gravity feed and opening all the packs. A little disappointing.
    Haha, that's me every single week. I bring a laptop along and write articles in case a new player shows up. Its happened maybe twice, but I don't think its really catching on in my area. Every month or so I might manage to get 4 people together to draft. Needless to say, I play online a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by NickPhamDA View Post
    Haha, that's me every single week. I bring a laptop along and write articles in case a new player shows up. Its happened maybe twice, but I don't think its really catching on in my area. Every month or so I might manage to get 4 people together to draft. Needless to say, I play online a lot.
    Guess it's time to get a web cam.