Thread: Targetting

Targetting

Ok, so Wiz Kids is kind of a mess on their wording of cards when it comes to targeting. Their Errata and FAQs help some, but really only help to cloud the issue. I'm hopin they take a real look at their gaming diction as they further to produce cards.

With that said, I am going to try and make a list of situations and apply their ruling as I see it to the cards presented so we can get an idea of when one can use Weather Witch, and when we can't.

First things first:
    "Change the target of an action die that targets a character die to the character die of your choice."

The follow up question is always "Ok, so what targets what?"

Let's start with the defined situations that we have seen in the WK Rules Forum and FAQ:

1) Power Bolt/Magic Missile
    "Deal 2 damage to one target character or player." ("** Deal extra damage to a character equal to the level of your highest level adventurer in the field.
    Global: Pay . Deal 1 damage to a character.")
    Powerbolt can be redirected if it targets a character, and can be redirected to any character. Pretty simple. Of note though, Storm cannot redirect the global of Magic Missile.

2) Ring of Magnetism
    "Play on a monster. Your opponent's action dice and abilities can only target that monster."
    While this dice doesn't specify target, the fact that it only selects/plays on/attaches to/etc. one character implies it is targeting and can thus be redirected.

3) Horn of the Unicorn
    "Two of your monsters get +1A and +1D.
    * Damage those monsters deal in excess of the total defense of their blockers is dealt to your opponent.
    ** Damage those monsters deal in excess of the total defense of their blockers is dealt to your opponent.
    Global: Pay . Target monster gets +1A."
    Horn of the Unicorn targets a specifies number of targets, not a type/grouping/sum/faction/alignment/etc. but a specific number. This is where the boundary lies; if a card specifies a number, even an implied 1, then you are targeting.

4) Force Beam
    "Deal 1 damage to each character (including yours).
    * Instead, deal 2 damage to each character.
    ** Instead, deal 1 damage to each player and 2 damage to each character."
    "Each" is most definitely not "target." Neither is All/every/your (insert grouping here)/opposing (insert grouping here). targeting always specifies a number on the card.

5) Imprisoned:
    "This die captures any number of opposing characters with a total fielding cost of 2 or less. This effect lasts until canceled or you damage your opponent (return the captured die to the field)."

"Any number of opposing characters" does not actually target those characters, but instead defines a limit, groups as may of those characters and then apples the same effect to multiple of those characters. This is by far the most Grey area ruling of them all, but clearly helps define some fringe examples and the logic WK will be using to make decisions.

Any other fringe cases or examples you want me to post here? Anything you disagree about? Post it here so we can keep the conversation toghether and not have to scour the WKRF each time we wonder if this or that card targets.

I just got myself thinking, after reading this.

"Equipment: When this die is fielded, and at the beginning of each turn that this die is active
    (your turn or your opponent’s), you may attach this die to a character with the
    icon immediately below their alignment icon"

Equipment redirectable? Even to non-Equipable characters?

Put in a rules thread about it. What do you guys think?

What about Cerebro...each of the cards represents somewhat of a confusing situation when Weather Witch is around. (Which is particularly annoying since both are from the same set)

Mutant Hunter - "Place Cerebro on a die's card. It remains there until you or a card effect removes it(it is still in the field). At the start of your turn, you may move Cerebro to your used pile to search your bag for a die from that card and roll it."

If I am the opposing player, and i use the Storn WW global to move the die around to cards other than the one originally selected by my opponent? Could i even place it on one of my own cards? Can my opponent remove it and place it elsewhere at will? Based on the exact wording of the effects, I would say yes to each of these questions...but not 100% sure...

Supercomputer - "Place Cerebro on a character card. It remains there until you or a card effect removes it(it is still in the field). Your opponent's dice from that card cost a minimum of 2 energy to field. This cost can't be reduced."

As the opposing player can I use the Storm WW global to change which card is selected? The Cerebro wording doesn't even say 'opposing character card', so does this mean I could place it back on one of it's owner's own cards?

Cybernetic Intelligence - "Place Cerebro on an X-Men die's card. It remains there until you or a card effect removes it(it is still in the field). When you field a die from that card, knock out one opposing die."

This one is the most confusing one to me. The Cerebro die itself is targeting an xmen character, which causes an effect to happen which KOs an opponents character. As the opposing plauer, Can i use the Storm WW global to change the character which is being KOd, or can I only change the character which the Cerebro die was originally placed on? My vote would go to the second, since it is the action die target that the global affects, not any subsequent effect created by the action die. If I change the target of Cerebro, does the new target have to be an Xmen? Can it be one of my own characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
    Cybernetic Intelligence - "Place Cerebro on an X-Men die's card. It remains there until you or a card effect removes it(it is still in the field). When you field a die from that card, knock out one opposing die."

This one is the most confusing one to me. The Cerebro die itself is targeting an xmen character, which causes an effect to happen which KOs an opponents character. As the opposing plauer, Can i use the Storm WW global to change the character which is being KOd, or can I only change the character which the Cerebro die was originally placed on? My vote would go to the second, since it is the action die target that the global affects, not any subsequent effect created by the action die. If I change the target of Cerebro, does the new target have to be an Xmen? Can it be one of my own characters?
    I asked the rules forum about Weather Witch and Cybernetic Intelligence. Storm CAN choose a new target for the KO'd character.

http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb...cerebro#p11415

Storm's global specifies an action that targets a die. So you couldn't change the card that any Cerebro die us placed on.

Of note though, Weather Witch can't redirect the initial use of Cerebro because it is not targeting a character die, but a card.

Ahhh...yes...that makes sense. If the card is targeted and not the die, then Storm's global doesn't work. Got it.

In the case of Cybernetic Intelligence...there would be nothing stopping me from redirecting the KO back to one of my opponent's characters, right?

Correct. In fact, the WizKids rules forum has already ruled as such (see Randy's link).

My world makes sense again. Thanks guys