Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Nationals - The heartbreaker

Canadian Nationals - The heartbreaker

My road to nationals was a short one. Fun4Willis and I live about 6.5 hours from Ottawa, and about a week and a half ago he
    joked (i think) about going to nationals, and I said I thought he was crazy...and then I thought about it. Why wouldn't we
    go to Nationals? sure, it's a 6.5 hour drive, and it's just for one day, and we can't leave the night before OR stay in town
    after the tournament, so we have to do all the driving in one day, but still, who knows where nationals will be next year.
    We registered the next day, despite our spouses thinking we were crazy.

So, for a week and a half we made decks, play tested, reworked decks, and just tried to punch each other in the face as much
    as possible. Fun4Willis ended up with the same deck as Dave Walsh from American Nationals, and I ended up with a Nova burn
    deck. Here it is.

The Deck

Kobold - Greater Humanoid 4 dice
    Beast - Genetic Expert - 4 dice
    Lord of D. - Dragon Protector - 3 dice
    Nova - The Human Rocket - 3 Dice
    Iceman - Too Cool For Words - 1 Die
    Hulk - Jade Giant - 2 Dice
    Jinzo - Trap Destroyer - 2 Dice
    Red dragon - Epic Dragon - 1 Die

Polymorph
    Magic Missle

You'll notice 2 things missing. PxG and and Hulk GG. This was very much on purpose. I heavily expected to see both on the
    other side of the table, and if my opponent is running Pxg, then I get a free card by not running it, and if my opponent has
    GG then Jade trumps him. In the scene I was expecting I made a judgement call, and it paid off.

Kobold.
    This was my insurance plan incase my opponent didn't run PxG or BEWD. Basically it gives me one sided ramp due to swarm. I
    only played one match without PXG, and in that game this guy was an all star, allowing my to roll 7 dice twice in the game
    while my opponent barely ever rolled more then 4. in games with PxG he was only bought once as a cheap blocker to gum up the
    field.

Beast
    This is tsarina hate, pure and simple.

Lord of D.
    Fun4Willis ran Wolverine formerly weapon ten against me all week, and with relentless there was no way for me to stop it. My
    deck wants to go long, and this guy is the only good answer a turn 3 wolvie. at only 4 cost I was able to field one or two
    of these guys in the first 3rd to 5th turn, and since he has hexproof, he can't be removed as a blocker.

Funny story, I didn't have access to Lord of D. at the beginging of the day, but CartaMagica was selling gravity feeds of
    yugioh for $50, which is roughly half of what they are worth in London, so Fun4Willis and I split a box, found out what the
    dice for Lord of D. looked like, and went out to his car and opened pack after pack just looking at dice until we found this
    guy. I have no idea what rares we got or if we got a super rare at all, it was just a mad dash for the D.

Nova
    This is one of the main win conditions. Use Iceman to turn all dice into bolts, enter attack step, ping Nova with Magic
    Missile as much as possible. Get happy.

Iceman
    Just here for his global. See above and below.

Hulk
    This was a tough choice. I had GG in my deck on the way up, and was probably bugging Fun4Willis the whole way by keep
    bringing up the pros and cons of each, and asking his opinion. in the end, I came up with Jade Giant, and I'm very glad I
    did. There was only one game in which I wish I had GG, and all the rest I was very happy with my choice. A few times I even
    got to see a VERY surprised opponent as they realized how much Jade trumps GG.

Note - I still think GG is the better Hulk in a vacuum, I just think Jade is better in the current Meta where EVERYBODY is
    running GG

Jinzo
    M.V.P. Hands down. I can't say enough good about this guy, and if you haven't played with him I STROGNLY suggest you do. 2
    Games in a row I planted him in the field turn 3 and he shut the game down completely.

Red Dragon
    In play testing this was another win con, but yesterday he was just there for his global.

Polymorph
    Pretty self explanatory. You need a hulk? Get hulk RIGHT NOW. Can't roll a jinzo to save your life? Bring it in from the
    side. Very strong card. I probably could have not played this either, based on how much of it I saw from my opponents, but
    unlike PXG there is no replacement for this effect, and if my opponent isn't running it then my deck suffers. It's also nice
    to turn down a hulk to his burst side or turn up Nova so you can ping him more.

Magic Missile
    Global. All about the global. Ping hulk, kill any character. Ping nova, kill opponent. I don't think I bought one of
    these actual dice all day.

The matches

Round one - Luis
    His Game plan - Have fun for the day with his friends
    My Response - Early Jinzo, Nova Ping.

I don't honestly remember what He was playing, but I know he had PxG and no respect for his life total. I planted Jinzo turn
    3, and he pxg'd 3 times in response, taking 6. He then continued to pxg until I had lethal on board. 1-0

Round two - Jthomash2
    His plan - Plant fury and swing with double striking avengers.
    My Response - Plant Jinzo to ruin his ramp and get Jade out to kill his things before they kill me.

I did manage to land Jinzo turn 3 again, and just like before my opponent continued to pxg, all is going swimingly! but
    wait, I can't land another creature, and he already has Jade giant on the field...and here comes tsarina...and patch. WHERE
    ARE MY OTHER GUYS?!?!? Jinzo gets him down to 5 life, but HULK SMASH! and I go from something like 18 to minus 12 in one
    turn. A VERY close game with a great guy, who went on to win the tournament. Both our hands were shaking after this one.
    1-1

Round three - Patrick
    His plan - Tsarina for days!
    My response - Beast to weather the storm

Beast is the PERFECT answer to tsarina. Tsarina attacks, beast spins down to avoid the damage, then dies to block and i gain
    a life and bolt my opponent. Neitehr of us had PxG, so I used Kobold and swarm to get the advantage and got my Hulk out
    before he could buy his heavy hitters. He swung with everything, I lived (at 3 life) and swung back for lethal.
    2-1

Round four - Osprey
    His plan - FWT turn 3
    My response - The D.

I won the dice roll to go first, bought D. turn one, and got him on the field before he could get wolverine down. D. can't
    get distracted, so I can always block Wolvie, so with two D's in the field I was free to go for my big stuff. I land a Jinzo
    and have 16 total power on the field, but he has 19 life. I pass priority and he pxgs twice, giving me lethal. 3-1

Round Five - Fun4willis
    His plan - FWT
    My Response - The D.

Fun4willis and I have known each other since high school (1999ish) and I was the one who got him into the game. We have play
    tested all week, and I CANNOT BEAT HIS DECK. Atleast, I couldn't prior to ripping open a box of yugioh that morning. He
    was undefeated at this point, and going strong into the top 8, but I was going to try and put a stop to that. I won the dice
    roll, bought a D. and rolled it turn 3. Energy. F. Reroll, double energy. Double F. His turn 3 he rolls wolvie and my
    life total takes a massive hit. Turn 4 I poly D in and grab another one for good measure. Soon I have 2 D.'s and he can't
    roll a wolvie. Jinzo makes an apperance and shuts the door. Super close game, but I taste victory at Wylies hand for the
    first time in over a week, and man, it was SWEET. :P

Going into top 8 I'm first (!!!) with Fun4willis close behind in second, and I think Jthomash2 in fourth? Sorry Ospray, I
    don't remember where you were at this point. I'm SUPER stoked at this point. I REALLY wanted both of us to top 8, and here
    we are top 2. Awesome

Round 1 of single elimination. The Heartbreaker.
    Ron
    His plan - FWT (see a pattern?)
    My response - the D.

The dice have turned on me. I get an early D, but he has no idea where the field is or what it looks like. This game goes
    long though, because my opponent also can't seem to find the face side of a dice. Eventually wolverine finds his drunken way
    to the field and lazily punches me out. BUT, it's best of 3, so my dream of national glory isn't dead yet. I go first and
    D. makes a triumphant return to the field, followed closely by Nova and Jinzo, but I bought too many polymorphs and I can't
    get any side kicks with lightening to finish the game off properly. This game also goes long, and in turns I finally roll
    enough lightening to Nova him for the win. Except now it's 1-1 and we're out of time. We call a judge and he doesn't know
    what to do, so he looks it up and there is NOTHING on WES about this, so after hearing a couple of ideas like rock paper
    scissors, flip a coin, roll a dice, we finally settle on rolling all 8 sidekicks, whoever gets the most actual sidekick sides
    wins the match. Ron wins with 3 to my 1, and my chance at glory dies hard.

Overall I think the day was fantastic, and while I don't like that I lost to something not game related I still had a blast
    and came away very happy. It was a fun little tournament, and if I'm disappointed with anything, it's that I have to go from
    that to my local scene of 4 players again. I met some really nice people and wish that my local scene was more like that (in
    size, not niceness. My local scene rocks, it's just too small). I strongly suggest attending a big tournament if you ever
    get the chance, nothing beats the Dice masters community.

Cheers,
    Dan

Dude... so sorry to hear you lose like that. When I read on JT's running blog post, I told my wife. She said she would probably quit playing if that ever happened to her. (Granted, she doesn't play anyways) But I wanted to let you know that we really felt for ya all the way down in Akron, OH. Glad you had a good time, and the TRP community was really cheering all 3 TRP users on. Congrats man on the Top 8 finish.

They really need to get their competitive scene together. If you're doing "best of"s you should really be allowed to play out the rounds. At this point it's not like another 20 minutes would have set them back all that much, since the end is in sight.

Even if time is a significant factor, you should have a better method than "flip a coin" to determine who wins.

Totally feeling for you man, but 'grats on doing as well as you did.

Congrats on making top 8! It sounds like you had a really fun day and enjoyed playing the team you came up with. That makes it all worth while.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Such a strong deck. If I hadn't seen Randy unintimidated by Jinzo at US nationals in the stream, I might have messed my pants on turn 3. As it was, I was "comfortable" taking lots of damage to keep my ramp up one more turn, and that was the difference. And by comfortable, I mean I was sweating bullets but thought it was the right decision. Honestly, I'm kinda glad I didn't have to play you again in the tournament. I feel like there's only so much stress you can take in that setting, and a rematch might have been too much.

Thanks for the recap.

So happy that you have such an awesome attitude regarding the situation. I'd have been FURIOUS to win/lose with that.

On the positive, I really like this team. And thanks for the recap. I want more people to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRETRO View Post
    And thanks for the recap. I want more people to do this.
    I dunno how long you've been reading TRP, but last fall when I started writing with them that's all I did. I wrote reviews of the constructed events and drafts I went to. I'd love to see more people start writing about there own experiences while playing. Maybe we should even have a new forum Topic to write about event experiences. Each experience could be it's own thread, and people could comment.... would people be interested in that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mongooli View Post
    Round four - Osprey
    His plan - FWT turn 3
    My response - The D.

I won the dice roll to go first, bought D. turn one, and got him on the field before he could get wolverine down. D. can't
    get distracted, so I can always block Wolvie, so with two D's in the field I was free to go for my big stuff. I land a Jinzo
    and have 16 total power on the field, but he has 19 life. I pass priority and he pxgs twice, giving me lethal. 3-1

His plan - FWT turn 3
    My response - The D.

Pretty much sums all that up lol. I`m still kicking myself about that misplay that should of seemed obvious, the double pxg giving you exactly lethal damage. Was definitely a game for me to learn from, and I`m definitely going to have to grab your Lord of D. idea for some of my other teams

Maybe we should even have a new forum Topic to write about event experiences. Each experience could be it's own thread, and people could comment.... would people be interested in that?
    That`s kind of what I already do with yugioh, and I really enjoy doing it because talking about your teams or decks or whatever and the event you were at not only helps others understand, but it gives you a moment to reflect on how the event went and better think about how you want to make future changes. That`s why I jumped at the idea to come and post up here when JT told me you guys had forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I dunno how long you've been reading TRP, but last fall when I started writing with them that's all I did. I wrote reviews of the constructed events and drafts I went to. I'd love to see more people start writing about there own experiences while playing. Maybe we should even have a new forum Topic to write about event experiences. Each experience could be it's own thread, and people could comment.... would people be interested in that?
    I've only been around a month or so, maybe two months, so I'll have to dig in the archives, assuming they're posted.

As for the new forum... AWESOME.

I enjoyed writing this, and would love to read these from others as well. That forum sounds awesome.

Round one - Luis
    His Game plan - Have fun for the day with his friends
    My Response - Early Jinzo, Nova Ping.

I don't honestly remember what He was playing, but I know he had PxG and no respect for his life total. I planted Jinzo turn
    3, and he pxg'd 3 times in response, taking 6. He then continued to pxg until I had lethal on board. 1-0
    If it helps he was running a Nova deck as well

Interesting that Nova seemed to do better here than at US Nats.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRETRO View Post
    So happy that you have such an awesome attitude regarding the situation. I'd have been FURIOUS to win/lose with that.
    This helped for sure.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150427_235546.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	4.24 MB 
ID:	267

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Interesting that Nova seemed to do better here than at US Nats.
    This might sound stupid, but I don't think of this as a Nova deck. After seeing it in action, Jinzo and Hulk did almost all the heavy lifting. I can only think of one match that I really used nova effectively to close the door. He is more just a piece to this puzzle than he is the big picture. I think I could have swapped him for Johnny Storm or Gobby and done just as well, but Jinzo, D. and Hulk are crucial.

This helped for sure.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150427_235546.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	4.24 MB 
ID:	267
    Very cool! Congrats on the haul!

Blog Entries
    Luis and his Nova deck were seeded 4 in the top 8. He gave me fits in that first round. I won game 1 without too much flair, but game 2 took me a while to stabilize (roughly 12-1 - his lead - in life when I got Hulk to the board) and he offered to concede. I thought he was nuts, and we played on with him winning. Game three went to turns after time, and Luis had the lead 20-16 or so. Knowing I had 3 turns only and my only option was to get a double swing with Hulk even if not for lethal, I kept up ramp for the first turn, taking some more damage on Luis's turn. Got the dice and pinged his field away to swing for lethal the following turn. There was definitely some Nova love in this tournament, but Luis was the only opponent I played who really played this as a primary (and effective) strategy.

Mongooli,

I enjoyed reading about the experience and really wish they'd come up with a better way to officially break ties. Sorry to see you get knocked out by rolling sidekicks. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    Luis and his Nova deck were seeded 4 in the top 8. He gave me fits in that first round. I won game 1 without too much flair, but game 2 took me a while to stabilize (roughly 12-1 - his lead - in life when I got Hulk to the board) and he offered to concede. I thought he was nuts, and we played on with him winning. Game three went to turns after time, and Luis had the lead 20-16 or so. Knowing I had 3 turns only and my only option was to get a double swing with Hulk even if not for lethal, I kept up ramp for the first turn, taking some more damage on Luis's turn. Got the dice and pinged his field away to swing for lethal the following turn. There was definitely some Nova love in this tournament, but Luis was the only opponent I played who really played this as a primary (and effective) strategy.
    The Montreal crew brought 2 Nova Decks and 2 Wolverine decks, each with our own little tinkers. I think that 3/4 of us in Top 8 shows we paid attention. The only one who didn't make it was our 2nd Nova deck. and I know that I face him and FWT him in 4 turns, so he got no points that game which might have set him back a little.

Blog Entries
    Was that Scott? His was the "well built bolt team" I referenced from Swiss round 4. He just couldn't stabilize. I went first, got Hulk turn 3, and controlled the field from the outset. Could have been very different if Nova hits before Hulk, or Hulk had problems getting to the field.

Yup that would be the one. He's very bolt centric in many of his decks

Blog Entries
    Boltcentric is an interesting term. With Iceman TCFW, one might have said I was built "Boltcentric." I certainly needed bolts in order to make my control (and usually my attacks happen...

Even though there has already been discussions about how dm cannot be like magic and have mono teams, I think many people have preferences, as each type of mana has a style of play. And this informs and influences how we build and play. I like fists bc I like beat downs. I like mask because control. Therefore when I look for characters I tend to gravitate to these more easily. And Scott's interest is more burn. And that's okay.

This is true. I don't mind going no-holds-barred with whatever I think is best for a tournament, but there are definitely certain things I gravitate towards, either when playing for fun or even perhaps when I first start testing things out, just to see if things are viable.

I think I lean less toward cards of a specific type and more towards the ones that spark my imagination.

For me I find my imagination sparked by similar characters. Who happen to be fist and mask. Generally I look at Shield chars and go eh. Although this is changing with Dc I admit