Thread: Thanos, and earlier precedent

Thanos, and earlier precedent

So, we've all seen the spoiler on the front page.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MDM3_05SuperRare-138-Thanos_Infinite.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	262
    The question is, do we need to get A Thanos in play before we get to put tokens on him?

He doesn't appear to be built that way, but many times has the WK design become counter intuitive (I cite the beholder global as an example).

Now, most characters have a "when active", "when fielded" or other implied active state requirement to their abilities. D&D even had a character that didn't who led to the following WK Rules forum post:http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...eholder#p11563
    As we can see, the Minon Beholder was meant to have a "when active" effect, even though he doesn't say it. The problem is, the DMrulesteam seems to imply with their wording that that was a character specific case.

If that is true, we would put tokens on Thanos at any time. However, there are two other cases where no implied or explicit fielding requirement is listed.

Wonder Woman Princess Diana
    "If you have 2 or more Justice League characters in play, your Sidekicks take no damage from attacking or blocking characters."

She does not need to be one of the two JL characters active for this effect to work, she simply has to be on your team. Instant wall if you get your early Aquaman and Zatanna out.

Sinestro Sinestro Corps Leader
    "Your Villains cannot be the target of opposing global abilities."

Put one guy of this on your villains team...... no globals for your opponent, ever. one of your 8 card slots and 1 dice and boom, massive advantage.

Are we going to see a Sinestro errata? Is Diana's ability balanced enough that they don't bother changing her? Or will they expand on the above ruling to state that abilities on cards are only there when active?

I go with the general idea of if one interpretation seems to be too powerful, it's not that interpretation. In general, when a card doesn't have to be fielded, they've said it. Curse of Dragon comes to mind.

I don't believe the team was parsing their words at all there. They ought to be while active effects in all cases.

I'd agree. I'd think that the Wonder Woman and Sinestro abilities have implied "When Active" abilities.

Thanos is likely an exception to this though. It wouldn't make sense to me if I had to have a Thanos active in order to start a countdown to buy another Thanos. By the time you are able to buy that second Thanos and then field him...game would be over.

I agree with Meatman. If Thanos was a 7 cost, I'd say "while active". But he's 10. The ability justifies the high cost.

Oh yes, in the case of Thanos, this may be a special thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I agree with Meatman. If Thanos was a 7 cost, I'd say "while active". But he's 10. The ability justifies the high cost.
    I agree with this. And I'd go so far as to say that he's useless if "while active" is part of his ability. I have a hybrid approach to Dave's. If a construction would be too powerful, or too weak, then it's probably wrong. Requiring Thanos to be active would make him too weak, IMO. I agree that generally, a character needs to be active. Just not here.
    Last edited by Indy Mon; 04-27-2015 at 08:51 PM.

Yeah...and really..."Overcrush" is the Thanos ability on this card. The rest of the text is reffering to a modified way to buy his dice.

They definitely could have been more clear on the wording though. Perhaps including this line before the text..."Before any Thanos die is purchased..."

I see all points here, but wanted to put the conversation out there so we could talk about it. Especially, because Sinestro is.... ridiculous. I understand that it may not have been the intent of the card, but were I say, playing a draft to get a ton of DC packs and promos, I might argue the point(assuming i drafted him :P).

I will say though, I would be willing to bet Princess Diana's ability works even if she's not active, and I actually do think that Thanos's would too.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
    Yeah...and really..."Overcrush" is the Thanos ability on this card. The rest of the text is reffering to a modified way to buy his dice.

They definitely could have been more clear on the wording though. Perhaps including this line before the text..."Before any Thanos die is purchased..."
    The card uses the word "purchase" in its condition text, so there's no reason to state it again.

I don't see where the confusion is on the card because its very clear:

- Have Villain do damage to opponent during attack phase.
    - Put token(s) on Thanos' card.
    - Purchase Thanos dice off card with reduction of -2 cost per token.

Being Active isn't a condition needed because Thanos' ability is built around what Villains do, not specifically him. Though he is able to help himself if there is another Thanos Active.

One thing I'm surprised to see is that WK allows 4 dice of his type on this card. That's overkill. I would have limited it to 1-2.